(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3487 positive of 3869 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Butt ache, I heard of a product butt buffer....
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

fz6yamaha
Standard Member
242 Posts

USA

Peer Review:

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  6:59 PM                       Like
this is a seat pad, I just went on a ride to the GA mountains for about 4 hours, the pain in my butt had overtaking me, having to stop almost every 45 minutes for a butt rest brake, So I am planning on getting one of these pads (OR SOMETHING) and this one in particular (by the reviews) seems ok and also I think for what I read that I can have it installed in my stock seat.

Do you guys know anything about this product or other similar that may be good as well?. This product sales for about $50-60 (the link is www.buttbuffer.com)for standar size. I just found one dealer about 30miles away and it comes with 10 days money back warr.

This was my first real ride with lots of twisty roads, It was great, scared the first 15 minutes in the twisties but then I got used to it and learn to trust in my bike at my own peace.

Thanks again

htdb33
Standard Member
167 Posts

somerville, al
USA

Triumph

Trophy 1200

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  7:23 AM

From all I have heard and experienced most of those seat pads are not worth the money. If you really want to improve your comfort you might want to consider a custom seat. Look at the Corbins, Rick Mayers, Sargent for starters. They all will make good custom seats for sportbikes.

To go cheap you might try a wooden bead seat pad. I tried one and it was an improvement. Just not enough for me as I ended up with a Corbin. You can order the bead seat on line for about $25 or buy an auto seat cover for about $10 and cut it down.

Yankee Dog
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  11:35 AM
I wouldn't risk my money on this one. They aren't cheap and are only a band-aid to the real problem, which is you need a better seat. Stock seats on many bikes are notoriously poor long distance performers. That keeps companies like Corbin and Mustang in business.

I think it'd be wiser to put those dollars towards a better seat instead. My .02
Go to Top of Page

EasyRider
Starting Member
2 Posts

Carthage, Tennessee
USA

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  4:05 PM
I bought a Honda V65 Magna last year.I love the bike but after about 30 miles I get butt burn bad.The Corbin seat has been highly recommended by my fellow Magna riders.I bought one off Ebay a few weeks ago and can't wait to try it out.I'm sure I'm gonna be very happy.

Edited by - EasyRider on 03/15/2005 4:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

fz6yamaha
Standard Member
242 Posts

USA

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  7:44 PM
Guys I just bought the bike 6 months ago and I already have my eyes focus on an Aprilia Futura 2006, So I know I am not going to keep this bike for more than 2 years and I did not wanted to spend the money in a corbin seat (by the way-$379 without taxes). The corbin seat looks really nice, people recomend it a lot, but are they really worth?, I am not sure and I did not want to spend all that money and then realize that uppss the seat still hurts. For all of your experience are those corbin seats really worth?.

Also I forgot to add that my long trips will not pass more than 4 to 6 hours and maybe twice a month. I thought of the butt buffer because would not go over 60$ to try and if I did not like I could return it and get my money back, start saving for the corbin and I guess that I would have to sale it on ebay later on.

Thanks again
Lu
Go to Top of Page

Dawn
Advanced Member
712 Posts
[Mentor]

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Harley-Davidson

2007 Street Glide

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  7:57 PM
Too many of my friends with Corbin seats are very unhappy with them. One of my friends even went up to the Corbin factory 3 times for adjustments and still he isn't happy. Keep in mind that Corbin makes a VERY firm saddle. While too soft isn't good at all, too firm can be downright uncomfortable.

I ended up getting a custom seat made from Bar Enterprises. He puts a dense foam in the saddle and I've been very comfortable with it. I have been doing some very long, 500+ mile rides and I've been happy.

You can call them at 818.353.3888.

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

OldTbone
Male Senior Member
273 Posts

The Coastal Bend Area, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLTR Road Glide '02

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  8:21 PM
I sprang for $80+ on the external Butt Buffer. It was some improvement over the stock passenger seat, but we are "underwhelmed" with its performance.

Just my $ .02,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

fz6yamaha
Standard Member
242 Posts

USA

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  8:46 PM
Guys I have 2 questions. One is for Dawn: About your custom seat, please give me an average of what I should be expecting to pay, More or less than a corbin seat?
And the 2nd questions is for Oldtbone: How thick is the buttbuffer pad? It does not say in their web site.

This is an expensive but worth therapy guys, I mean helmet, boots, pants, gloves, jackets, maps, minor mirror scrat, and after all now my butt hurts and I have to think of a remedy. No including yet wife gear and a backpack, but well I do enjoy it all.
(execpt the butt ache).

Appreciatte everyone of your advices guys.

Go to Top of Page

Dawn
Advanced Member
712 Posts
[Mentor]

Los Angeles, CA
USA

Harley-Davidson

2007 Street Glide

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  1:54 AM
You can expect to pay less for the seat from Bar Enterprises than from Corbin. I can't give you a true feel since mine is a solo seat and he used it as a prototype for my bike's model year. I only paid for materials. That was an advantage of living nearby. I got a very basic, low profile solo seat. He can also do wonderful inlay work, etc. I did have the Millennium Foam put in the saddle.

They do have a website: http://www.harleyseats.com/Bar_Ente...omes_You.htm

I would HIGHLY recommend that you call the number I gave above and talk to Andy. It is his company. The number on the website is some gal doing sales for him up in Northern California. Why deal with a middle-man?

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

OldTbone
Male Senior Member
273 Posts

The Coastal Bend Area, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLTR Road Glide '02

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  4:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by fz6yamaha

...the 2nd questions is for Oldtbone: How thick is the buttbuffer pad? It does not say in their web site.

Not very thick, Lu...maybe an inch or less.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

htdb33
Standard Member
167 Posts

somerville, al
USA

Triumph

Trophy 1200

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  7:16 AM

I have a Corbin on my sport touring bike. I like it and think it is worth the money. Yes, it is a very hard seat but once it broke in it became worlds more comfortable than the stock seat. Before you go with Bar Enterprises, make sure they have experience with sport bike seats. Dawns' bike is a cruiser and the experiences does not necessarily cross over.

BUT BEFORE you do anything try this. Get a pair of padded bicycle shorts. Do not wear underwear underneath them. The seams in your underwear will dig into your skin after a while. I have found this makes a big difference.

Yankee Dog
Go to Top of Page

hoot
23 Posts

USA

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  12:54 PM
wife had one for a while, helped a little. our's attached with cords and moved around a lot. eventually got a new seat.
Go to Top of Page

fz6yamaha
Standard Member
242 Posts

USA

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  7:57 PM
I've heard about the bicycle shorts, I re-think about the pad but the only thing I did not like was the put and remove of the seat everytime I want to go for a walk after riding to our destiny. I ask today a guy that went from Atl to Daytona last week and he recommend me to move my weight around the seat, grab the tank with my legs, and support my weight on my feet. I will be going tomorrow to the bicycle store to try those shorts.
I will let you guys know. I am also going to call to get an estimate on the seat.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1206 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  1:00 PM
I had to change seats on my Softail. I tried out the Mustang at Americade last year and ordered one with the optional rider back rest. Solved my butt and back problems. I can go 8 to 10 hours now with no trouble except the normal need to stretch, etc. I'm 62 going on 63 and I think it's the best $300 or so I've spent on my bike.

Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1206 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  1:02 PM
I meant to add on my post above.

Go to some rally's where they are selling seats and 'butt buffers', try some out for 'feel'.

Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  1:27 PM
fz6yammie- I have snowboarding padded butt 'underware'. Does the same thing. Tis OK as a band-aid remedy, not a good long term solution IMHO.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05