(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Preventative Maintenance
 Rotor wear from metallic pads
Member  Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rkfire
Advanced Member
1693 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit
Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  9:53 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
When I first replaced my front pads on my Bandit, the shop only had some semi-metallic pads in stock so I bought them.

They were noisier, but worked well enough.

I changed back to organic pafs when they wore out.

I've recently noticed quite a lip developing on the outer edge of my rotors. New, the rotors are 5mm and found that the service limit is 4mm thick. Measured mine and they are 3.55mm. New OEM, or quality aftermarket rotors are about $190 for EACH side. Yikes. Luckily I sourced some low mile used stock rotors.

I have 60k + miles, but Bandit owners with a lot more miles still have original rotors, within usuable limits. I ride daily, so sure, my around town miles are considerable, but still, I am surprised to have worn mine out at this milage.

I really think that in MY case, and use, the metallic pads were responsible for the excessive wear on the rotors.

Just a heads up for those buying brake pads. A heads up to those getting miles on their bikes to check the rotor thickness too. Look for the telltail ridge on the outer edge of the rotors.
   Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05