(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3487 positive of 3869 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Motorcycle Endorsement
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  4:15 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Do you have a Motorcycle Endorsement on your Drivers License?

(Required in all 50 States.- USA)

Results:
Yes   [87%] 52 votes 
No   [3%] 2 votes 
I plan on getting one   [13%] 8 votes 
I don't plan on getting one   [0%] 0 votes 
= Guests (14 ballots)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 60 »»   Last Vote: 08/25/2006 8:44 PM 

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:20 PM
I'm seeing the results I expected on this site. A motorcycle safety forum.
Unfortunately the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 'NHTSA' states that 32 percent of motorcycle operators involved in fatal crashes were unlicensed or improperly licensed.
Go to Top of Page

gadgetgeek
Male Standard Member
149 Posts

Tracy, CA
USA

Aprilla

Atlantic 500

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:38 PM
Would "endorsement" include a learner's permit? Or only those who have completed the requirements?
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
731 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:50 PM
In Texas a permit is different than an endorsement... And technically I don't have an endorsement on mine. I have a class CM, but there are no endorsements listed on the back.
Go to Top of Page

mark700
Male Junior Member
65 Posts

Highlands Ranch, CO
USA

Kawasaki

Concours,KX250

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  4:54 PM
I recently asked some friends who were fairly new to motorcycling and found that a large percentage did not bother to get their motorcycle endorsement. Not surprisingly, these are the same individuals that were not interested in taking any safety courses or wearing helmets.

Most people would not consider driving a car without a driver's license, but figure the motorcycle endorsement is not big deal. I wonder if law enforcement views it the same way.

What about insurance? Can you insure a bike without proving that you can legally ride it?
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
731 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  5:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mark700

What about insurance? Can you insure a bike without proving that you can legally ride it?

In Texas you can. I bought my scoot, and had it insured well before I got my license. The question then became would the insurance cover me if I crashed.
Go to Top of Page

gadgetgeek
Male Standard Member
149 Posts

Tracy, CA
USA

Aprilla

Atlantic 500

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  5:14 PM
quote:

Most people would not consider driving a car without a driver's license, but figure the motorcycle endorsement is not big deal. I wonder if law enforcement views it the same way.

Well, governor Arnold Schwarzenegger here in California recently was in an accident, and it turns out that he never bothered to get his license. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...V0GLJ2L1.DTL I wonder if he's not riding anymore because of it or has some community service work to encourage people to get their endorsement.

The article says that the officer has the discretion whether to ticket you or not. Probably the discretion if you happen to be the governor, otherwise you get a ticket.

I was able to get my insurance and still do not have my endorsement. I have a learner's permit, but had 30 days to get my insurance to ride on the street from what I understand.
Go to Top of Page

WarHawk
Male Advanced Member
1796 Posts

Baytown, Texas
USA

Yamaha

'07 V-Star Custom

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  7:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mikeydude

quote:

In Texas you can. I bought my scoot, and had it insured well before I got my license. The question then became would the insurance cover me if I crashed.

That would be a good reason for them NOT to try to...

I though the M on a licence was the endorcement...

If you take the MSF course you waive the riding portion of the test...I got 14/14 questions right on the push the screen test..it was simple after all I learned from the MSF

If you HAVENT taken a MSF course I STRONGLY recommend you pony up a bit of dough for it..because it was the best $180 bucks I have ever spent!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
731 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  9:11 PM
I thought the M was an endorsement too, but on the back of the license there's a place for endorsements and mine says none...

*shrugs*
Go to Top of Page

howard.v
Male Senior Member
406 Posts

North Bend, OR
USA

Honda

2004 VT750 Aero

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  10:32 PM
My license is a class A cdl. I can drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with the proper endorsements. I have m, t, and x endorsements. M = motorcycle, t = doubles/triples, and x = hazmat/tanker. On the front it states for endorsememnts MTX. On the back it lists what MTX is. Your endorsement may not be listed on the back. Each state differs in their licensing setup.
Go to Top of Page

marsam
Male Advanced Member
510 Posts
[Mentor]

Birkirkara
Malta

Yamaha

Dragstar & Vmax

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  1:52 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I was wondering.... Do you have different classes of motorcycle licenses as well?

Over here, if you intend to ride just a scooter, there is a specific test (and riding permit) for that particular vehicle and with that you cannot ride any other bike.

Also, motorcycle licenses are divided further in 2 categories. Those for up to 250cc and those for 250cc and up.

Is it the same over there?
Go to Top of Page

Sigil
Male Senior Member
432 Posts
[Mentor]

Nijmegen, Gelderland
Netherlands

Yamaha

FZS600

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  3:00 AM
I think we have about the same system as Marsam.

You're driver's license here is divided into several different categories. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc etc. Motorcycles are also divided into light and heavy (power) which have certain age restrictions. If you want to drive a certain category, you will have to pass several tests. And we don't do permits. The only way you're driving something without a real license is by having an instructor next to you while doing so....

Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  8:19 AM
In Texas you are required by law to carry liability insurance. So, in an accident, the person determined to be at fault, pays for all damages. So, to make sure that everyone carries insurance that will pay for damages they cause to someone else’s property, it is required by law. And they verify your insurance coverage when you get your license, renew your license, get your vehicle inspected, register your vehicle or purchase a new registration sticker, to make sure everyone has insurance. So, that makes getting insurance the first step in owning and driving any vehicle in Texas. You can’t do anything else until you have your proof of insurance card.

When you purchase insurance, the insurance company wants to know about the vehicle and has access to your state driving record. They probably lookup and verify everything about your license and your driving record. Whether they check to determine if you have the correct license class or endorsement for the vehicle you are insuring, I don’t know. But I think it is something that they could do.
Go to Top of Page

Sox Fan
Male Senior Member
419 Posts
[Mentor]

Kerhonkson, NY
USA

Suzuki

DL 650

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  12:15 PM
Got my motorcycle license before ever getting on a bike. (Well, excepting that mini-bike I rode when I was a kid.)

NY's insurance requirements are different for cages and motorcycles. For cars, the insurance is required for your registration. If your insurance expires, the insurance company notifies the DMV and they will revoke your registration. Not so for bikes. Apparently, there was at least one smart legislator in this state's history, who recognized that motorcycles quite commonly are not ridden in winter, so you can keep your bike registered but uninsured if you want. I don't believe the law specifies that this applies only in the winter, but that's what I've been told it is for.

From the DMV website: "Motorcycles are exempt from the requirement to surrender the vehicle plate when the liability insurance lapses, but liability coverage is required when the motorcycle is operated."
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  12:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mikeydude

In Texas a permit is different than an endorsement... And technically I don't have an endorsement on mine. I have a class CM, but there are no endorsements listed on the back.

MikeyDude,

If Texas is anything like PA, then you have your endorsement.

My license says C,M as well. C is car/light truck up to 26000lbs, the M is motorcycle endorsement.

You probably have the M endorsement and there is a screw-up on the back. You did take and pass the MSF right? Did you get a new driver's license after that? If so, you most likley have the endorsement.

my humble .02.

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6866 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  1:00 PM
I don't know what the law is now, but way back when I used to live in Utah, you didn't have to insure motorcycles. You could just state "not insured" when you registered the bike. I had a few dual-sports that I didn't bother insuring. My reasoning was that I wasn't likely to be at fault in an accident, even if I was I wasn't likely to do much damage, and if I wrecked my own bike I would just eat the cost. (I'm not claiming this was correct reasoning.)

And I had my motorcycle license a year or two before I bought my first motorcycle. I needed it to take test rides on friends' bikes. I passed the written test 100% without studying and passed the riding test with a total of about 20 minutes of practice. Hopefully the tests are harder now.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  1:08 PM
quote:

My license says C,M as well. C is car/light truck up to 26000lbs, the M is motorcycle endorsement.

Kansas is the same. Mine is CM. Car, motorcycle.
MikeyDude, I think you have an endorsement.
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  1:50 PM
Well, I had to pull out my Texas license to look at it to see what was on mine.

On the front it says "Class: CM"

On the Back it says "Endorsements" Under that it says "None"

As far as I know, that is all there is to having a Texas motorcycle license. It is considered a license class and not an endorsement.
Go to Top of Page

langner91
Male Standard Member
213 Posts

Sterling, IL
USA

Harley-Davidson

XL1200C

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  2:24 PM
My thinking is the same as yours, Don.

Class could be "C" for commercial. While there is an Air-Brake endorsement.

Many people have a class C but cannot drive a big-rig with air-brakes unless they pass another test.

Edited by - langner91 on 08/17/2006 2:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
731 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  9:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gs82Seca650

MikeyDude,

You probably have the M endorsement and there is a screw-up on the back. You did take and pass the MSF right? Did you get a new driver's license after that? If so, you most likley have the endorsement.

my humble .02.

Yes I did pass the MSF and got a new license. When I had my permit for that very short time (like 4 weeks) it was a hard copy like the license, and was class C. It had a motorcycle endorsement on the back, and it also had some instructions under restrictions. I believe that Don is correct... Motorcycle is a class and not an endorsement in Texas.
Go to Top of Page

batman
Male Standard Member
139 Posts

Royston, Cambs
United Kingdom

Kawasaki

ZX-6R

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  10:48 AM
It's not called that in the UK but its effectively the same, except that without the "full license" you can only ride a 125 with learner plates, so everyone normally takes the test.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05