(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Improve your skills
 Harris Neil's "Motor Lessons" a freebie
Member  Discussion Topic Next Topic  

charlie3
Male Standard Member
123 Posts

Port Austin, Michigan
USA

Kawasaki

KLX300R 2004

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  9:40 PM                       Like
Thanks Rio, I wish I'd found this item 6 weeks ago.

(It's a 40 page pdf put together by Harris Neil and inspired by motorcycle police training that is available by writing him at MotorLessons@Hotmail.com I suppose he'd like the satisfaction of knowing how many peoeple are interested but I think he should allow his document to circulate more freely.)

The Motor Lessons program is to perform each exercise adequately before moving on to the next. I'm going to be a good sport and do it that way.

Right off the bat I had to practice putting down only the left foot and only after the bike is completely stopped--easier said than done. It seems like a good balance lesson and a good habit. I'll be spending some time with the 2by4 but it seems a good way to learn precise braking at slow speeds and clutch skills. It will be a few sessions and a few days before I'm doing it well enough to move on.

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1667 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

99 Sportster XL 1200

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  12:48 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I too sent an email to Harris yesterday morning and before the day was out had received a reply with the document attached. Have just given it a quick glance so far but it seems to be chock full of just the exercises I want to practice along with a couple of my riding buddies. We are going to review it, then set up a location with the equipment we'll need and begin putting ourselves through the paces at least one afternoon or evening a week.

Go to Top of Page

charlie3
Male Standard Member
123 Posts

Port Austin, Michigan
USA

Kawasaki

KLX300R 2004

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  6:56 AM
I'm lucky to have a township hall parking lot nearby where there are only a few meetings a month and the lot is empty the rest of the time. It has 20 painted spaces plus a generous margin around them. I hide a 2by4 in the tall grass nearby and carry a dozen tennis ball markers on the bike. Township officials are fine with it (I attend board meetings). Eventually I'll schmooze some old cones out of the county road comission and store those nearby in the tall grass.

For more crowded places, where most people live, consider searching for paved areas with Google Earth. There could be unused pavement in good shape. There might be parking lots not used after 5 or on weekends that are far enough from residences and retail businesses that you won't bother people at home and nobody parks there for other reasons.

You might ask a patroling police officer if he knows a good place for practice. Those guys know their areas in minute detail. They should like the idea of bikers practicing. If they've checked you out and know where you are you're an asset instead of a liability.
Go to Top of Page

charlie3
Male Standard Member
123 Posts

Port Austin, Michigan
USA

Kawasaki

KLX300R 2004

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  6:15 PM
I've been working on the 2by4 exercise, which is harder than it looks. It refines breaking, clutch and balance skills and reinforces the habit of putting only the left foot down and only after a full stop. May be the reason for the left foot habit is so that the right foot can cover the rear brake pedal more of the time and to get rid of the two feet down stops.

Here is a video of someone who has been doing the exercise longer than me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJKYjHa4NY
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  6:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by charlie3

I've been working on the 2by4 exercise, which is harder than it looks.

I may have to try that one.

Of course, by about the third pass, I would probably be trying to see how far I could shoot the 2x4 when the back tire goes over it.
Go to Top of Page

charlie3
Male Standard Member
123 Posts

Port Austin, Michigan
USA

Kawasaki

KLX300R 2004

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  8:42 PM
I'm still doing the 2by4 exercise most every day, may be 15 or twenty times a session. I'm getting better but it's not consistent. The exercise is teaching me EXACTLY where the front and rear tires contact the ground. Every once in a while I brake to a stop before I feel the 2by4 and it turns out the wheel is right up against it. The hardest part for me is staying balanced with both feet on the pegs between climbing the 2by4 in front and the rear tire stoping against it.
Go to Top of Page

JumboJack
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  4:07 AM
Anybody has any idea if motorlessons@hotmail.com is still used by Harris Neil ?

I've wrote him a couple of days ago and haven't received any answer so far.

Of course the man is entitled to answer me ( or not answer ) anytime he feels like it, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or anything, I don't mind waiting for this nice freebie, I just wonder if the address is still used, otherwise I'll wait indefinitely :-)
Go to Top of Page

jguynn
Male Junior Member
30 Posts

Missouri City, TX
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster 1200C

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  10:42 AM
That 2by4 exercise is exactly how we started the braking/obstacle workshop I attended last month. Much more difficult to do correctly than it looks. Takes GOOD clutch control to really do it right.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1063 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  11:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by JumboJack

I've wrote him a couple of days ago and haven't received any answer so far.

Of course the man is entitled to answer me ( or not answer ) anytime he feels like it, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or anything, I don't mind waiting for this nice freebie, I just wonder if the address is still used, otherwise I'll wait indefinitely :-)

You can go to youtube.com and search for "cone down" He still lists "motorlessons" as his email.

Cone down is his "channel" on you tube, and you can watch the exercises. While there search for "Ride Like a Pro" as well.
Go to Top of Page

Tburd
Male Senior Member
476 Posts

Waukesha, WI
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard S50

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  4:23 PM
I received a copy about a year and a half ago. Harris requested that rather than pass it around all copies should come directly from him, so I'd wait awhile and see what happens. It's a busy time of the year and people are out and about. I think there's one or two people on this board that know him and one way or another he might get the notice.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  5:31 PM
Seems feasible JumboJack is getting caught in a spam trap too.

It occurs to me we have at least four copies of the document within our membership. After say three legitimate attempts to contact the author, you might consider forwarding the document and send notice indicating to whom it was forwarded to the author?

That's what I wound up doing, last year. Never did get an acknowledgement...
Go to Top of Page

Shadyrider
Male Standard Member
114 Posts

Hemphill, TX
USA

Honda

VLX 600 & GL1800

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  7:05 AM
As with anything "free", especially on the internet, he may have created a lot of work for himself. I received the pdf in 3-5 days, but that was early last year. I feel sure he will send it,,, worth waiting for.

And I agree with the "ride like a pro" advise.... very good. They gave a discount for being a member of this forum also.
Go to Top of Page

JumboJack
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  7:19 AM
Thank you guys, I guess I'll wait some more before trying Niebor suggested, I'm afraid Harris might be caught up with more important things at this time of the year, so it could take a while ...

I've watched a couple of the "cone down" videos on youtube, but I wasn't aware it's Harris that have done this, I'll go watch the whole series now and the "like a pro" ones.

Thanks again !
Go to Top of Page

WSMeders
Male Standard Member
118 Posts

Columbus, OH
USA

Yamaha

FZR600

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  12:07 PM
I just got a reply from him:

"I apologize for the delay, I'm travelling, but will be home by tomorrow and will send you the booklet then.

Harris"
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  10:45 PM
I received the same out of town reply today. I got the .pdf this evening with a link to some videos. Interesting stuff.
Go to Top of Page

JumboJack
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  4:07 AM
Same here, just got the pdf from Harris, looking forward to reading it !

Big thanks to Harris for doing this for free and to everyone in this forum for their support !

Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1063 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  5:08 AM
quote:

And for those playing at home....
His name is Neil Harris......
Go to Top of Page

JumboJack
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Kawasaki

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  7:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SkootchNC

OK, I see, sorry about that, I've just copied what I've found in a previous post ... And he also signs "Harris" in his emails, which probably enhances the confusion.
Go to Top of Page

rjenness
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

Greely, Ontario
Canada

Kawasaki

Vulcan 800

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  1:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SkootchNC

quote:

Actually I've just contacted Harris to get a copy of his Motor Lessons and he asked me to set the record straight. His name is Harris Neil and not Neil Harris.
Go to Top of Page

MotoGG
Male New Member
21 Posts

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
USA

Suzuki

GS500E

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  11:04 AM
Hey, just a little update. Sent an email to Mr. Harris Neil and got the booklet promptly with links to YouTube.
Go to Top of Page
   Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 3.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05